Wednesday, December 21, 2011

That's all it took?!!!?

We have some friends that moved into the ward the same time Kevin and I got married, and they have a little two-year old, Madie, who is super adorable.  But despite knowing Madie for three quarters of her life, her being over to our house multiple times and us being over to her house on several occasions, and we always sitting together at church on Sunday, Madie remains pretty stand-offish with me.  She kind of rejects me.  However, when she was over at our house last week with her parents for a little holiday gathering, I wound up painting Madie's fingernails.  It was pink and sparkly, and she loved it.  Now, she apparently LOVES me.  She approaches me, says hi, waves, suddenly learned my name, and is no longer so reticent around me.  Is this the secret to kids liking you?  I should have painted her nails a year ago, and then I wouldn't have been part of the out-crowd with her, but someone she actually likes.  Lessons learned, I guess.  When a friend brings their child over and they seem a little hesitant around you, paint their fingernails and they will suddenly love and adore you.  And cease to be afraid of you.

3 comments:

Shalmeno said...

If Farren doesn't seem to immediately fall in love with you, please give it a little bit before painting his nails. ;-)

Mal said...

Hey, my cousin painted his son's nails for all sorts of holidays. Red white and blue around the 4th of July, red and green around Christmas, black at Halloween. And no, this is not a gay man--he's married and has two kids. He hunts, and is building his own house. He just thinks it's fun to paint his nails. (Yes, he paints his own as well.)

And I'm sorry Shaine. I should have let you in on that secret after we found it out in August. My bad.

Jen said...

LOL! I think that the real secret is doing something on their level. So for little girls that's stuff like painting finger nails and playing princess and stuff. For little boys it's playing with cars and trucks and trains and running after them in the backyard and jumping off the swing. If they know that you are willing to do THEIR things then they won't be hesitant. Kids instinctively know if you are uncomfortable, unsure, or faking it around them and they respond accordingly. So be real with them and most of the time they'll like you. Especially you... YOU are super fun. What's not to like? My boys LOVE you!